Friday, July 3, 2009

Independence

Lately I have been quite taken with the stories of past--and current--injustices.  Afghanistan, Iran, the Holocaust.  Each time I am disgusted with the complacency of the so-called standers by.  Fearing for their own lives or livelihood or merely apathetic, they allowed friends, family, fellow humans to be arrested for crimes they never committed and murdered in cold blood.

It makes me wonder, if I were in their shoes, what would I do?  It's a question we all ought to ask ourselves.

As sad as hearing of these injustices makes me, it reminds me why I do what I do.  In serving, I am contributing against the injustices in Iraq and Afghanistan.  It may not be much, but it's what I can do.  In our way, each of us must consider what we can do to stop the injustices around the world.

Most of all, let us be thankful daily for the blessing we have to live in this free country.  On July 4th, as in all days, make sure you thank the brave Soldiers who give their lives to secure our freedom.  In your prayers, remember to be thankful always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment