Saturday, March 27, 2010

Flowers, flowers everywhere!

As promised, here is an update on my favorite thing ever...flowers! Oh I love them. It's quite possibly the nicest present I've given myself. Well, maybe not. I give myself lots of nice things. But I AM enjoying having lovely, fresh cut flowers around the house. They make me smile every single time I see them. So here's the breakdown...

I bought two cheap bouquets at a local grocery store. One mixed bouquet, whites, greenery and a little yellow. The other--pink and red carnations. (I was previously adverse to them, but just check them out.)

So I separated the flowers and broke out the vases. I ended up with not one but FOUR arrangements. The first is this pretty number of all whites and a little greenery. I love it. It's dreamy to me--so it was a perfect fit for my bedroom.

Then I put the daisies (both yellow and white) in a vase. That arrangement, plus about half of the carnations, flank my display of green and pink sea urchin on my "coffee table" (aka the trunk in front of my couch.)
Then I put the last set of carnations downstairs in my bathroom next to my coral. I've hated carnations since high school. To me they have always been this cheesy flower associated with bad corsages. But my friends over at YHL showed me the light. And they can be downright pretty if you arrange them right. Maybe you don't agree, but I love them, and they can last about 3 weeks!
So here's to my most favorite gift (recently). If you don't give yourself flowers often, you should consider a bouquet a month. It will bring life to your house and a smile to your face. And if you live somewhere with good local flora, make your own! I loved cutting some azalea from the bushes in front of my house in college, so get creative!


2 comments:

  1. They're beautiful! I've had a hard time finding decent flowers down here, though. What grocery store did you get them at? And I have considered clipping red ginger from my neighbors, but I haven't done it yet. Are there laws here against clipping? Ha. Wouldn't that make a funny story for the blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Don't know about the clipping law! I've considered it too! I picked them up at Times in Mililani. The Safeway might have some decent ones. The NEX has a pretty good florist, and my friend said the commissary there has a good flower selection too! Hope that helps!!

    ReplyDelete