Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Rest In Peace

My heart hurts today. (The figurative one, not the physical one.)

I was listening to the radio this morning and heard a blurb about the "end to combat operations in Iraq." (The quotations are because we still have American Soldiers fighting and dying there. Not a true end. I digress.) At the end of the blurb, they noted that, to date, over 4400 of our Troops have been killed in Iraq alone.

I was thinking about how fortunate that I haven't had anyone I know die. One friend lost his legs, a few got shrapnel and gunshot wounds, but no death.

Then at approximately 1000 this morning I found out that one of my companies former squad leaders, one of the best we've had in years, was killed in Afghanistan this morning.

I didn't start crying until I was driving down to Pearl Harbor. He was such a great leader. He truly cared about the Soldiers he worked with. He was a smart, competent guy.

I remember when we went to Waimea Bay for leader's PT just a year ago. We jumped off the huge rock into the bay, which is about a 20 foot drop. I was scared out of my mind, and this wonderful NCO literally held my hand (with my 1SG on the other side) to help me get over my fear of jumping.

There are too many stories about him. He was a great guy and it's a huge loss to the United States Army. Please keep him, his family, and his Army family in your prayers. May he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment