Monday, July 5, 2010

Ta-da!

Alright, so I'm Speedy Gonzales when it comes to room makeovers, apparently. I made it my mission to update my bedroom this weekend, and I did! I was fortunate enough to find all the pieces I was looking for on island--and most of them for some pretty good deals!

So here's a bunch of pictures to tickle your fancy:

I saw this bedding at Macy's (and had seen it before). It's Martha Stewart, so I was thrilled when I saw it was marked down over 50%. However, they did not have it in queen size. Also, I figured the Navy Exchange would have it and hoped it would be on sale there too. Boy did I luck out! The NEX had it for $20 less, had it in Queen, and there is no sales tax there! It's exactly what I was looking for--a pop of color with a fun pattern but not too loud. I love it. Did I mention that I made that little yellow pillow out of a napkin? The prints on the wall next to the bed are photo cards I bought in Kauai (for $4 a piece), and I found the sweet frames at Price Busters for $5 each.

Wendy gave me three shelves, so I used one for above the bed. I found the little pineapple at Price Busters, the M at Ross (btw, should I paint it?), and the votive holders I already had. So, the napkin-pillow...I wanted a lumbar-type yellow pillow to add a little cheer to my blue bed. But I couldn't find a single one anywhere. Plus, I didn't feel like buying one online. So I found these sweet yellow napkins at Pier 1, ironed one, folded it in half, used hem-bond to seal up the edges, stuffed it with poly fill and used a little spray adhesive to close the whole thing up!

So I had two more of the yellow Pier 1 napkins, and I used them (plus a little lace) to make a sweet little table runner for my dresser. Same process as the pillow, minus the poly fill, plus lace to connect them. The elephant and the blue vase were also Price Busters finds, at $2.50 and $4 each. The fan I scored at Goodwill a while back for $6, and I found that coral in December. :)
Here's a close up of the table runner connector.

This little elephant is actually an oil burner, but I turned him around so he's just a cute little figurine.

I'm crazy about these beautiful vases. I got this beauty, handmade in Spain from recycled glass (or so they say) at Ross for $10.99. I also tore down the nasty old curtains the owners left up and added white gauzy ones over tan for a lighter, airy effect.

So do y'all like it? It's not much, but I feel like it makes a difference. Of course, I'm not a photographer, so I don't think you can see the full effect. Overall, it makes me happy for sure!

1 comment:

  1. Love the new bedroom! I vote Paint the M! Perhaps pick a color from your new bed set? Something lighter will make it stand out against the dark shelf and dark pineapple (so cute by the way). Besides, you can always repaint it. ;o)

    ReplyDelete