As I enter my last year in Hawaii, I've really got to make the effort to go out and see the things I've always wanted to see. Yesterday I checked another one off my list: hike Ka'ena Point.
Ka'ena Point is the Northwestern most point of the island of Oahu. Hawaiian legend has it that this is the point where souls depart the Earth. It's rugged and uninhabited by humans, although it is a favorite spot for locals to hike, sunbathe, and fish. Also, it currently serves as a wildlife sanctuary, particularly for shearwaters and albatross. We saw a ton of albatross there, which in case you didn't know, are huge. Before I saw them at Ka'ena Point, I'd only heard of them in the movie, The Rescuers: Down Under. Yes, I did just reference a somewhat obscure Disney movie.
The beach.
Ashley with the Windward coast behind her.
Me and Ashley on the beach at Ka'ena Point.
Looking out on the Pacific.
We also saw quite a few whales, but they weren't breaching. They were blowing out air and water, and it was like watching fireworks on the Fourth of July. There were entire pods of them together--really neat. I had a great time hiking out to the point. This will hopefully be the first of many hikes out there!
No comments:
Post a Comment