Saturday, February 12, 2011

This week

You know, I realized last night that I haven't taken any pictures since the trip to Kauai--about a month ago. I guess I've just been busy...Anyhow, here's what's going on.

This week my brigade hosted a leadership symposium. Some of it was good, some was a little redundant. We had two female generals, both who commanded the same ESC, and they were phenomenal speakers. BG (Ret) Halstead was very enthusiastic and included her faith in what she shared. BG Akin will be my future (deployed) CG, and she was in charge of the US Armed Forces relief efforts in Haiti. Incredibly inspiring.

Yesterday we had the day off because of the brigade ball. I didn't go because they didn't have enough tickets (aw, shucks...haha), so of course I made the most of my day off. First, I got up at 5 to do my 14 mile run. I ran it in 2 hours and 10 minutes, which comes out to a 9:17 mile pace. Not too shabby. Especially since I was running by myself, it was pouring rain, and I rolled my ankle...twice (ouch, it still hurts). After showering and grabbing a smoothie, I headed into town.

Being from the Metro DC area, I have high standards when it comes to museums. (Well, when it comes to everything, but let's focus on museums.) I went to the Bishop Museum yesterday, which is no Smithsonian, but the focus is entirely on Hawaii. Although a lot of the exhibits are currently closed (due to transition or construction), I learned a lot. For a local museum, I thought it was fairly well done. Plus, with the military discount, I only paid $10.95 (compared to the usual $17).

After the Bishop Museum, I swung by Nordstrom Rack, then hit up Kahala Mall for my favorite local salad place--Aloha Salad. (Aloha Caesar with grilled shrimp = YUM) Then I took a little walk through a little place known as Whole Foods. The only one located on this island. I walked out with orange tulips, chocolate macaroons, soy nuts, organic orzo and spinach penne.

This morning, I stopped by the Waialua Farmer's market. For only $14, I walked away with asparagus, green beans, basil, apple bananas, two papayas, and a mango. I'm going to make some pesto with that gorgeous, fragrant bunch of pesto that only cost me $0.50.

Alright, I've rambled on enough. I doubt anyone has even read this far. Since it's cloudy out today, I'm going to focus on doing my chores, prepping my Bible study for next week (at a local coffee shop), and doing some yoga to help recover from 14 miles...

2 comments:

  1. I read the entire thing! You outings sound lovely - and I have to agree that I like all of those places too. Bishop Museum included.

    Have you been to Chinatown at all/recently? Interested in going down one weekend with me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for reading the whole thing AND commenting! No, I haven't been to Chinatown in over a year! (And I don't feel like I've really experienced it.) I'd love to go sometime. Just let me know what you're thinking!

    ReplyDelete