Best Activities:
- Kayaking: You can rent these through MWR (if you are military/know someone who is) for pretty cheap. It's easy, a good workout, and tons of fun.
- Snorkeling: There are tons of tropical fish pretty much no matter where you go, and plenty of green sea turtles.
- Hiking: I've only been once so far--Manoa Falls. Beautiful and fun; definitely looking forward to going more!
- Jetskiing: I just went for the first time, and it was amazing!
- Parasailing: Again, I went for the first time. It's peaceful and a cool way to see the island.
- Swimming
- Playing Football on the Beach
- Photography: I'm going to get a digital SLR while here. So many beautiful sights.
- Paradise Cove Luau: Dinner, drinks, and a show for less than $70.
- Pearl Harbor Historic Sites: USS Arizona, Missouri, and Bowfin.
Best Beaches:
- Bellows Beach: The sand is like powdered sugar, the surf is gentle and clear blue, there are gorgeous views of the outlying islands, and the military amenities are fantastic.
- Waialua: My local public beach is a two minutes' walk, uncrowded, and I see green sea turtles every single time I go.
- White Plains Beach: Formerly a military only beach, now open to the public, but it still offers great rentals for the military. The only downfall is how crowded it can get.
Best Food:
- Shrimp Shacks (North Shore): These RVs are stationed along the roads of the North Shore. For $12 you get delicious shrimp (coconut is my favorite), rice, a salad and pineapple. The best is in Kahuku (kinda far away), and the most convenient is Macky's.
- Cholo's (Haleiwa): My favorite Mexican restaurant here. They have a killer shrimp taco salad.
- Aoki's Shave Ice (Haleiwa): While everyone knows their neighbor, Matsumoto's, Aoki's is preferred by locals. For under $4 you get shave ice atop a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Kaua'aina (Haleiwa): This sandwich shop serves burgers, sandwhiches and salads. My favorite sandwich is their turkey avocado on a Kaiser roll. Cash only.
- Ted's Bakery (Sunset Beach): This place is famous for their chocolate haupia (coconut cream) pie. And it's amazing. They also offer tons of other baked goods, breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Maui Mikes (Wahiawa): This fire roasted chicken place is amazing. They serve chicken quarters/halves and sandwiches that are awesome. The meals come with fries/rice, a drink, and a dipping sauce. My favorite it their sweet bbq sauce.
- Boston's Pizza (Wahiawa, Kapolei, etc.): Even though it's called Boston's, they serve NY style pizza that is fantastic.
- Dixie's Grill (Aiea): Their motto is "Put A Little South in Your Mouth." This is one of the only places that serves legit sweet tea on island, and their menu is full of comfort food.
- Gordon Biersch (Honolulu): Located in the Aloha Tower Marketplace, this is apparently a chain restaurant/brewery. The wait staff is great and very accommodating. They have an extensive menu, and everything I've had is delicious. Also, it's waterfront.
- Duke's (Waikiki): This is a Hawaiian staple. While it's touristy, it's still a cool restaurant. It's located right on Waikiki beach. All the entrees come with their salad bar, which was great. There was also a roving band singing retro Hawaiian songs. Definitely make a reservation.
- Aloha Salads (Honolulu, Kapolei, Mililani): They offer more than just fresh salads--soups and sandwiches too! As they expand into their Kapolei and Mililani stores, so will their menu.
Best Shopping:
- Surf n Sea (Haleiwa): The coolest surf shop on the face of the Earth. The people there are friendly and helpful. The store has a huge selection of suits, slippers (flip flops), clothes, boards, etc. They have a really cool selection of T-shirts. They also offer surf lessons, scuba cert, and dive tours. It's frequented by some of the best surfers in the world. The kicker: 15% military discount!
- Aloha Swap Meet (Aiea): Every weekend at the Aloha Stadium, hundreds of vendors from around the island come to sell their wares. Entrance is $1, and you can literally spend all day there. My favorite vendors are jewelry stands, Sheri Picerno's photography (see below), and a family that sells jams/baked goods.
- Global Creations Interiors (Haleiwa): This store is way overpriced but has some really cool stuff. All the products are local: art, candles, lotions, home decor, etc.
- NEX (Pearl Harbor): This is the biggest military exchange I've ever seen. They have an amazing selection of products. I've found a great local brand of swimsuits here (Honey Girl), and I've got 3 of their suits.
Best local artists:
- Sheri Picerno: I bought three of her pictures at the Swap Meet. Her photographs are all local plants, and they are beautiful! The 8x10's go for $15 and 11x14's are $40. They even come matted.
- Clark Little: I've seen his photos in Global Creations. He takes pictures of the surf, making waves look like glass. Way more expensive than Sheri, but I plan on investing in one before I leave.
Things I'm looking forward to:
- Diamond Head: I'm supposed to hike this and reenlist one of my Soldiers at the top!
- Surf lessons: I've been referred to a great instructor at White Plains.
- Skydiving?: I want to get up enough courage to do this...we'll see.
Your post makes me want to visit you in Hawaii. RIGHT NOW.
ReplyDeleteI love the new layout! I was going to send you an e-mail with a brief "how-to" but I'm glad to see that you are tech savvy enough to figure it out, ha. It looks great!
ReplyDeleteHaha. Do it Jackie! And also make a food blog. I'll be a contributing editor. And Meredith, after I asked, I saw the little ad/disclaimer thing for the layout so I figured I'd check it out. Good stuff!
ReplyDelete